|
| Wednesday, August 16, 2006 |
| Your Huddled Masses |
 Today’s topic is immigration. Yes, a hot topic these days fraught with divisiveness and strong emotion. Here’s my take.
Immigration? I’m all for it. This country was built on and by immigrants. I don’t see that many Native Americans in this country. Truth is every one of us has an immigrant in our past. I say let them come. Don’t give me the illegal crap. The last time we had a wave of immigrants was around the turn of the 20th century. We made it easy for them to become Americans. They basically just had to sign in. Now, we make it a nightmare. Bureaucracy rules. I think if they want to come here and work, let them. They provide a service to this nation. They fill jobs that I don’t see Americans doing. If we took out all the Latino immigrants even in Columbus, Ohio, there wouldn’t be a functioning restaurant or hotel in town. I say we let them in and let them pay taxes like everyone else. And they are paying taxes. With everything they buy or earn. Maybe they don’t file their income taxes, but most of them don’t make enough anyways. They’d just get a refund. Or, an earned income tax credit. They are doing the government a favor by not filing. It is said that all they do is come here, take our jobs, and send the money back home. Let’s analyze this. First, take our jobs. Really? In my area, no one wants to work at Wendy’s or clean hotel rooms, or bus tables. I used to work for a retail store and couldn’t get high school kids to work. It seems the “American” public only wants jobs that pay a lot of money. People will go on welfare rather than take what they see as a lowly job. To an immigrant, whether it is one from 1906 or 2006, there are no lowly jobs. There are only jobs that pay real money. My family came here in the early 1900’s. They left Italy to find a better life. That’s what these people are doing. America is supposed to be a beacon for people searching for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. When did that change? Because of terrorists? Because of unions? Because the new immigrants aren’t white? I think the last thing is probably the most true. It’s the ugly fact that no one wants to admit. Today’s immigrants come from South America, Asia, and Africa. They are all a shade of brown. During the last wave of immigrants, they were mostly Europeans. But they were discriminated against, also. There were ‘No Irish Need Apply’ signs up in New York. People looked down on Italians, and Irish and eastern Europeans. But they were still white, so it was easier to assimilate. But there are still idiots who think that only people with names like Smith, Jones or Williams are real Americans. My grandfather and five of his brothers fought in World War II. Some of them fought in Italy, against Italians. They traveled through there country of origin, killing people with common ancestry. For the U.S. Because of what they believed in; that this country, and what it stands for, is worth fighting and dying for. Is it still? Damn right it is. I don’t think our current wars stand the morality test, but if any nation ever directly attacked the U.S. You’d see people fighting for it. Look what happened after 9/11. People joined the military in droves to fight against attackers. And going to Afghanistan was the right thing to do. And people were proud to go fight there. Now, Iraq, that’s a whole different story. And there are immigrants in the military right now, fighting and dying for this country. And our gracious government has blessed them with citizenship if they DIE in action. That’s so kind of them. Here’s my final thought. It’s human nature to want to be happy and provide for your family. That’s what these people want. This country is supposed to be about providing for its citizens. Like Abraham Lincoln said, “that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” |
posted by dusio @ 8/16/2006 08:25:00 AM   |
|
| 7 Comments: |
-
I agree with you that they are doing jobs that no one else wants to do and they are very hard workers for the most part. As long as they are here not engaging in criminal activity, let them be.
-
Absolutely. I don't think they are any more inclined to create more crime than our own populace. In Houston, when all the New Orleans refugees moved there, crime doubled, and they were Americans!
Thanks for the comment and it's nice to know someone is reading!
-
Hi, I agree with you also, but I have to say I get a little upset knowing I pay for healthcare insurance, food for my family, etc. and I see "them" in the doctor's office getting free medical coverage and food with our tax dollars because they aren't paying taxes. Most of them are working for cash money... that's what frustrates me. Especially when you're a single parent working basically just to pay for insurance.
I like your blog. Just came by it today. I'm going to continue reading, if you don't mind...
~
-
I don't mind at all if you keep reading, it pleases me greatly. Healthcare is another issue. We are all entitled to healthcare, paid for and quality. I don't think there is as much cash payment going on as you might think, but in some jobs, farming for example, this may be true. If the govt. was serious about doing something, they'd crackdown on employers. But, no one in this administration is going to take on big business.
-
I guess I forgot to add that I live in Texas, so that may explain where I was coming from...
:)
-
I haven't had health insurance in 6 years because I just couldn't afford it. If they were serious about illegals - they wouldn't offer Medicaid, but then again we can't just let children starve because their parents were looking for the American dream.
The employers really are the root of the problem. I think if illegals are serious about being here and working for a living, then they should apply for citizenship and pay taxes like everyone else. But it's not just illegals abusing the welfare system. Prior to the 5-year limit of welfare, there were generations of welfare families. Education is an issue here, as well.
-
I did notice that and I understand. You'd be shocked at the number of Latinos in Columbus, Ohio. Or Somalians or Pakastanis. They tend to work more in the service sector here, but they do work in the apple orchards or strawberry fields, too. And construction, of course. It's a tough problem. I think that if we made it so they could come here, get a job legally with less b.s., they would and they'd pay taxes.
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| |
| About Me |
|

Name: dusio
Home: columbus, ohio, United States
About Me: Jaded, regretful, bitter and sarcastic. But a great guy!
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
| |
I agree with you that they are doing jobs that no one else wants to do and they are very hard workers for the most part. As long as they are here not engaging in criminal activity, let them be.