|
| Wednesday, August 16, 2006 |
| Letters, we get you letters. |
 Wow! The immigration post got two comments already. That’s two more than I have ever had. I guess the hot button issues get the most response. The Middle East got nothing, sex gets nothing, family, work, childhood: none of them drew a response. I love the comments. I like engaging in stimulating conversation. I don’t get enough of that in my real life. My S.O. doesn’t really pay attention too much to the news. She’s smart, don’t get me wrong, but she isn’t a news junkie like me. Anyone who ever wants to discuss any topic, drop me a note. I love a good discussion.
I suppose I could go do the major issues facing the world, or at least the U.S. and give you my short take, and then go back to them later. Here we go. -Abortion- not my decision. Should be up to the woman. I firmly believe in a woman’s right to chose. Don’t give me all the right to life stuff. Where you draw the line is unknowable. I don’t think abortion should be an easy decision or one taken lightly, but I don’t think it’s my place to tell anyone what they can or can’t do with their bodies.
-Racism- I’m against it. Trite enough? No, seriously. It’s ignorant, and that’s all. Does it still exist. Absolutely. In far too many aspects of life.
-Gay rights- gay, straight, bi, whatever, we are all human beings. Gay people should be able to marry, have kids, adopt, and live where ever. I mean, why do we care? Is it really that important to you that someone else not be happy? Straight couples get divorced over 50% of the time; let gay couples give it a shot. And with all the miserable families out there, all the abused kids and foster children, to deny any child the right to be a part of a family is ridiculous.
-I’ve been over Iraq and the Middle East, go back if you must and read.
-Healthcare- should be free for everyone. But let the states handle it. If the countries in Scandinavia can figure it out, so can Ohio or Utah. Everyone has a right to be healthy.
-Education- should be the biggest department in the government and should receive the most money. There should be an option to go to a free university for everyone.
-Taxes- I’ve said this before, I don’t mind paying higher taxes if they use the money on the people. I don’t want higher taxes to pay for a foray into some country that pissed off our feckless leader.
-Religion- Oh, jeez. I’m not against religion, per se, but I am against most people who are avidly religious. Religion should have NO part of government. Not in the pledge, not on money, not on a government building, no part whatsoever. Religion historically is the cause of most wars and most persecutions. I don’t care what you believe. In god, Allah, Buddha, witchcraft, aliens, fairies, whatever. If it gives you piece of mind, so be it. Just don’t force it down my throat. I’d like to put one of those dog collars on Bush and zap him every time he invokes god.
As you can see, I lean pretty far to the liberal left. Hell, I’m damn near a socialist. Actually, I see my view as very Roddenberry. As in Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. He saw the future as a place where cultures and races lived together in a society of peace and dedicated to human potential. Everyone was provided for and everyone had a chance equally. Sure, it’s simplistic, but it’s a goal to work towards. Why can’t a government be set up to care for its citizens? Isn’t that the point? |
posted by dusio @ 8/16/2006 03:48:00 PM   |
|
| 4 Comments: |
-
you want to tel me that my whole weekend of writting comments on your blog was for nothing? i just thought you didn't approve them. i really have to consider some other things to do at weekends
-
I left other comments as well. There's a conspiracy somehwere! I'm sure of it. LOL I really enjoy reading your blog. FYI - I used to live in Steubenville myself. Good place - good people. :)
-
I don't think you are negative, everyone has their experiences and they affect(or is it effect?) how they think and feel. I've gone years without health insurance because of cost or crappy jobs. I don't think illegals should get benefits. I think we need to fix the system first.
-
I do believe there is a conspiracy!
I was in Steubenville last year to get my birth certificate, man that place is sad. Not sad as a place, but sad that it is so dead. I try to cling on to the memories of my childhood!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| |
| About Me |
|

Name: dusio
Home: columbus, ohio, United States
About Me: Jaded, regretful, bitter and sarcastic. But a great guy!
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
| |
you want to tel me that my whole weekend of writting comments on your blog was for nothing?
i just thought you didn't approve them.
i really have to consider some other things to do at weekends