|
| Tuesday, September 05, 2006 |
| What for? |
Read this article on Book of Joe, it gave me pause today.
I feel like the world is so distant anymore. People are distant from each other. It takes a national tradgedy for Americans to get up and help someone else. I wonder if people forget how good it feels to do something for someone for no reason what so ever. Do you know what I mean? The self satisfaction that you did a good deed. It can be small like holding a door for an elderly person, letting someone merge in traffic or picking up something someone dropped. Little things like that can be a joy. I know I enjoy doing things like that. I like people to know I am still polite in an impolite world. Still willing to help out in an unfriendly society. That to care about someone you don't know is more meaningful than caring for someone you do. That's the measure of a human being. His/her willingness to accept that there is a greater good than their own. And by 'good' I don't mean a diety or anything. I mean the good of humanity. To help others. When I got grumpy customers when I worked in retail, the surest way to quiet them was to be honestly and completely nice. Not condescending and crass, but to genuinely try to understand that they might be having a bad day, or lost a friend or whatever. It's like Patrick Swayze says in Roadhouse, when things get ugly, be nice. Then be nice some more. Now that is a guilty pleasure of a movie.
Speaking of movies. I watched "Meet Joe Black" last night. I've seen it half a dozen times. It's a great movie. It's one of those movies that also makes you think. About life and reality. What is beyond this life. I can't say that I have any real ideas about death and the hereafter. I don't really buy the whole heaven/hell deal, but I also don't think that death is it. I think the energy that is your being, your soul, must go somewhere. Whether it enters a new dimension or stays in this one, who knows. I doubt we'll ever really know until we pass on. Maybe we don't want to know. Anyways, "Joe Black" is a good movie and Brad Pitt is a pretty good actor. My favorite Pitt movie is "Legends of the Fall". It's a magnificent movie. Startlingly beautiful scenery, magnificent acting and a tremendous story. I can watch that movie from any point at any time. |
posted by dusio @ 9/05/2006 01:35:00 PM   |
|
| 4 Comments: |
-
i have to see meet joe black again, because when i saw it i was more concerned about how brad pitt looked than the story in the movie. and legend of the fall man that is great movie, i cryed through the whole movie and it's been a long time so i definetly have to see it again i'll have the buckets ready :P
-
You know, I agree with you on where our soul goes. I don't think it dies. I also am not sure of the whole heaven/hell ideation. I've got too many questions where religion is concerned and I overanalyze everything!
Hey, how come I can leave comments here but not on other blogs? Damn your blogger beta disease!! LOL
I'm off to sob into my journal. Having another one of those days - although I did get a call from the ex. SCHWING! Game on!!
-
Now, see, I couldn't post on yours. I'm jealous you are going to get some, you vixen.
-
It's not polite to gloat!!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| |
| About Me |
|

Name: dusio
Home: columbus, ohio, United States
About Me: Jaded, regretful, bitter and sarcastic. But a great guy!
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
| |
i have to see meet joe black again, because when i saw it i was more concerned about how brad pitt looked than the story in the movie.
and legend of the fall man that is great movie, i cryed through the whole movie and it's been a long time so i definetly have to see it again i'll have the buckets ready :P