|
| Thursday, October 19, 2006 |
| Thursdays suck. Enough said? |
I’m a little pissed this morning. Issues with the S.O. last night started it, but I woke up feeling angry at the world, too.
Driving to work, I heard a Toby Keith song, “American Soldier.” I like Toby Keith, despite the flap with the Dixie Chicks. I like his music, and, I think his patriotism is honorable. I don’t agree with his take that insulting the president is detrimental to the troops. Hell, if that were the case, the troops would be really hurting these days. I support every single one of those men and women. I just don’t want anymore to die for bush’s money making schemes. Anyways, the song is a good tribute to the average joe, or jane, who serves in our military. I’m sure it’s a rallying song for the troops, as it should be. But it made me wonder, what is the definition of an American? Here’s my take. An American is that guy who works at the auto shop, greasy all day, goes home to his kids, rides a Harley on the weekends. It’s that old Italian grandma, who had 10 kids, has 30 grand kids and is still feisty enough to tell you off in two languages. It’s the poor mother, black, white or Hispanic, with two kids, two jobs, and no help. It’s the guy with the truck, or the corvette, or the minivan. It’s the Asian people at the store. The Arab guy behind the counter. It’s every stereotype there is. I dare say it’s that illegal alien, here working to make his and his family’s lives better. What it is not is someone who tells you that you can’t disagree. Or someone who deceives you into believing something. Or someone who let’s others die for their greed. Being American means being Christian or Jewish or Muslim or Buddhist or atheist. It’s being republican or democrat or green or socialist or independent. It’s doing what the majority of the people want, yet protecting the minority. It’s extending a hand first, not a fist. I think this government has lost track of what it is supposed to do. Protect and provide. Are we safe? Are our citizens better off? Are we viewed by the rest of the world as a beacon of hope or a juggernaut of force? I’d never be embarrassed to say I am an American, but I am embarrassed by my government.
Labels: america, dixie chicks, politics |
posted by dusio @ 10/19/2006 08:14:00 AM   |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
That was great Duz! I loved it!! That is what America is, a melting pot.
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| |
| About Me |
|

Name: dusio
Home: columbus, ohio, United States
About Me: Jaded, regretful, bitter and sarcastic. But a great guy!
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Links |
| |
That was great Duz! I loved it!! That is what America is, a melting pot.